Many people think that faggots and vegan, doesn’t go hand in hand. It is not possible to have vegan faggot. It is like having vegan egg. Most of the guests who have tried this dish at Sozo square doesn’t know what kind of dish it is and whether you can actually have the vegan version of this delicious dish. Also, they were of the opinion that even if the dish is prepared vegan, it won’t have the taste of the original dish like they thought of the Vegan Pastrami.
Once these guests tasted the vegan version of faggots with onion gravy, they were surprised to taste the delicacy so close to the original one yet is entirely harmless to the animals and so is completely vegan. We are now adding this recipe for the ones who have recently turned vegan and are missing out the taste of this dish.
Vegan Faggot with Onion Gravy Recipe
- • 125 g Finely Chopped Mushroom
- • 125 g Thinly Sliced Leeks
- • 250 g Diced Carrots
- • 175 g Bread
- • 250 g Diced Swede
- • 20 g Sunflower Seeds
- • 1 Small Red Chilli Sliced
- • 10 g Pumpkin Seeds
- • 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley
- • 1 Tsp Allspice
- • 2 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Sage
- • 0.5 Tsp Ground Mace
- • A Pinch of Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- • A Pinch Salt
- • 1 Tsp Vegetable Oil for Frying
- Pre-heat your oven at 180 Degrees Celsius
- Take your sliced carrots and swede and place it in baking tray and drizzle a little vegetable oil over the vegetables, stir the coating, season the combination with salt and pepper and finally roast the mixture in the oven for around 35-40 minutes until the mixture gets soft
- Until the above mixture gets baked, cook the green lentils by adding in a pan of boiling water and let it cook for around 20 minutes. Wait till the mixture gets soft too.
- Now, put the bread in the food processor and let it become breadcrumbs by blitzing it. Then, add sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds into the bread after breaking them into smaller pieces too
- Take a large frying pan, let it heat on medium heat, add vegetable oil. Once the oil gets heated, add the allspice and red chillies. Fry it for a minute and then add leeks into it. Again, let it cook for 5 minutes until it softens. Then, add mushrooms and fry again for the next 5 minutes. Once the entire mixture softens, remove it and keep it aside
- Remove the swede-carrot mixture from the oven and let it cool for some time. Once cooled, add up all the ingredients in the large pan and mix it together with a wooden spoon that forms a thick sticky paste
- Now, take mixture in smaller parts into your palm and roll it to form the balls. Then place it over the greasepaper
- Then deep fry these balls with oil and let it heat for around 2 minutes or until it gets brown in color. Keep it in the oven at 180 Degrees Celsius
- Now, keep the grease paper with balls in it inside the oven for around 40 minutes and keep it uncovered
- Once they are cooked, you can serve them in warm onion gravy that contains mashed potatoes and mushy peas or with the sweet potato curry.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 121Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 0.8gCholesterol: 132mgFiber: 12gSugar: 15g